⚠ The information on this Web site is intended as a study guide, and clearly not as a substitute for official sources.
Learning to Fly
These are notes transcribed to the Web from my experiences on the way
to my Private Pilot's certificate in the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Some of them
are applicable to student pilots in general.
For consistency, altitudes are given in hundreds of feet (hectofeet; hft) throughout (AGL or MSL).
VFR Radio Procedures
In my opinion ‘ground school’ doesn't adequately provide the information
being an capable pilot or even to just pass the practical test.
It doesn't properly integrate the knowledge with ‘cockpit reality’.
Worse, ground school doesn't even provide a sense of what you should know.
The following is a ‘suggested reading list”;
if I would have had the list before beginning, ground school and flight training would have been a lot easier.
Items marked with “♥” are particularly important.
Items marked with “♦” can be obtained in printed form.
Federal Aviation Regulations/Aeronautical Information Manual ♦ ♥
Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) or Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) for your airplane ♦ ♥
- Advisory Circulars, in particular:
- 00-6: Aviation Weather ♦
- 00-24: Thunderstorms
- 00-30: Clear Air Turbulence Avoidance
- 00-45: Aviation Weather Services ♦
- 00-46: Aviation Safety Reporting Program
- 43-12: Preventive Maintenance
- 60-22: Aeronautical Decision Making
- 61-67: Stall and Spin Awareness Training
- 61-134: General Aviation Controlled Flight into Terrain Awareness
- 90-23: Aircraft Wake Turbulence
- 90-48: Pilots' Role in Collision Avoidance
- 90-66: Non-Towered Airport Flight Operations
- 90-114: Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Operations
- 91-74: Flight In Icing Conditions
- 91-92: Pilot's Guide to a Preflight Briefing
- Advanced Avionics Handbook ♦
- Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3 ♦ ♥)
- Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25 ♦ ♥)
- ‘Regional’ Items:
- Aeronautical Chart User's Guide ♦
- Chart Supplement (formerly the Airport/Facility Directory)
- Sectional and Terminal Area charts ♦ ♥
Say Again, Please (Guide to Radio Communication) ♦ ♥
Private Pilot Test Prep ♦ ♥
Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide ♦ ♥
Private Pilot Airman Certification Standards (ACS) ♦
All pages under this domain © Copyright 1999-2021 by: